Posts Tagged ‘Process’

Frost Burrow work in progress

Wednesday, July 31st, 2013

carving frost burrow

Making some progress on my print for the lunation book, starting to carve a block for a second layer.

test print first layer frost burrow

Here’s a test print of the first layer of my print for the lunation book.


This is my progress so far on my print “Frost Burrow” which will be the 29th page of the Lunation book. My page corresponds to the last day of the waning crescent moon phase, and I’ll be tweaking the values to aim for 2-4% illumination. I’m working from a photo I took during the winter, on a day without snow on the ground, of a rabbit burrow (I think) edged in frost. The frost formed from the meeting of warm moist breath with the cold outer air and clung to the dead grass and roots around the entrance to the burrow. So this print is about hibernation, waiting, hints of life amid evidence of death, warmth hidden in darkness, and a hole that may be empty or full.

Recombining woodblocks: ant meets child

Tuesday, June 18th, 2013

Last night during my Japanese Woodblock class at MCBA I played with recombining past woodblocks to make a new image. I used the child from “Parking Lot Snow Mountain” and the ant I carved for “Diggers” to make this new encounter between a child an an ant. I printed a few that I will trade with my students for their prints next week.

Ant meets Child

Ant meets Child

Digger sketches

Friday, July 20th, 2012

I just sketched out some thumbnail ideas for the digger prints I’m making this summer. Four ideas for a pair of prints bringing together light rail construction, sandbox digging, and underground creatures.

20120720-112519.jpg

Diggers

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012

My summer goal is to develop a parallel exploration into “diggers”, the movers and shapers of my environment, large and small. The large ones are the big construction machines at work on University Avenue making way for the new Central Corridor Light Rail. The small ones are the earthworms, ants, millipedes, and other creatures who are constantly renewing the soil in my garden, occasionally disturbed by my shovel or my son’s toy trucks. I’m drawing them with my son by my side, and as you can see in my Flickr set “diggers”, he’s been making as many marks on the drawings as I am.

Yellow dump truck sketch

Collaborative drawing by me and my son, age 2

 

Laundry Notan

Thursday, April 5th, 2012

Last night at the Notan class (see previous post) Sheila suggested that the exercises might help us in other areas of our lives. I joked, “will it help me put away the laundry?” and she replied, “no, but it might help you see the space the laundry leaves behind.” So today I made a laundry-themed expansion of the square.

20120405-170635.jpg

Notan class with Sheila Asato at MCBA

Thursday, April 5th, 2012

I am taking a class at MCBA on Notan, the Japanese principle of light/dark design, from Sheila Asato. It’s wonderful to be a student and do work within strict limitations in the various exercises to discover the problems and possibilities within them.

20120404-213141.jpg

Prints ready to mail to my collaborator

Friday, February 24th, 2012

This week I mailed some prints to Jane Rosemarin to fold into origami vegetables. We are working on a collaborative project where I make prints and she designs origami models. I will post pictures of the models later.

20120224-114306.jpg
These are for a little zucchini with a yellow flower. Because of the way the folding works out, I’ve printed the green on one side and the yellow on the reverse.

20120224-114421.jpg
And this is for a carrot.

Carving small block with gardening tools

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011

20111122-222908.jpg
It’s been a busy semester teaching two classes that are new to me and balancing that with mothering. But now I am finally working on art! This will hopefully contribute to a collaborative project that I’ll write more about later.

Lid monotypes gathered

Friday, August 12th, 2011

I didn’t quite fulfill my original goal of making one monotype a day this summer, but I did make a handful. I put most of them up on a bulletin board to look at them. Next steps are to choose the 12, or maybe just 9, I want to put in the faculty exhibition, and decide how to present them.

20110812-124052.jpg

Repairing Clod

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011

Preparing to install work in a show at the Living Green Expo this weekend. I noticed that Clod: A Book of Soil was a little fragile. I found some extra spun paper thread roots and am adding them in to reinforce the structure of the book.

It is fun to be working on it again, rediscovering the worms hidden in the pages.

20110502-084720.jpg